MBN

NEWS

Man rescued from collapsed building in George after five days: South Africa

The man who got The Godfather made – by making friends with the Mob
Published Time: 11.05.2024 - 20:40:47 Modified Time: 11.05.2024 - 20:40:47

Rescuers have been using cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped on the construction site

Rescuers have been using cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped on the construction site.

Saturday 11 May 2024 18:02, UK

A man has been rescued from a collapsed building in South Africa after five days trapped in the rubble.

His recovery was described as "nothing short of a miracle" by Western Cape premier Alan Winde.

When the five-storey structure in the city of George collapsed on Monday there were 81 people on the construction site.

Of those, 13 have been confirmed dead, 29 have survived and 39 remain unaccounted for, officials said.

Rescuers have been using cranes, drills and their bare hands to try to reach those trapped on South Africa's southern coast.

In a post on X containing video footage of the survivor being pulled from the wreckage, Mr Winde said the man had been "successfully extracted from the debris after more than 116 hours".

He added: "This is nothing short of a miraclethank you to all the search and rescue teams!"

Read more:Inside a town being flattened in a Russian offensiveHundreds of protesters attempt to storm Tesla factory


Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Earlier in the week, more than 100 emergency staff and other responders worked through the night using sniffer dogs and spotlights.

There were fears huge slabs of concrete had fallen on to construction workers, and large cranes and other heavy lifting equipment were brought in to remove some of the debris.

Pictures from a drone camera showed a flattened construction site, with parts of the building's roof lying on top of the rubble.

Sky News footer

NEWS