MBN

NEWS

Rust weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez appeals against conviction over fatal shooting on Alec Baldwin film set

Grayson Murray: PGA Tour golfer Grayson Murray dies aged 30...
Published Time: 15.05.2024 - 13:41:01 Modified Time: 15.05.2024 - 13:41:01

Hannah Gutierrez was the armourer in charge of weapons during production of Rust in New Mexico in 2021, when a revolver fired by star and co-producer Alec Baldwin went off during a rehearsal, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins

Hannah Gutierrez was the armourer in charge of weapons during production of Rust in New Mexico in 2021, when a revolver fired by star and co-producer Alec Baldwin went off during a rehearsal, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Wednesday 15 May 2024 10:08, UK

The weapons supervisor for the Western film Rust is appealing against her conviction for involuntary manslaughter over the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on set, according to court documents.

Hannah Gutierrez was jailed in April after being found guilty by jurors following a trial in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in the US.

She was in charge of weapons during the production of the film in October 2021, when a Colt 45 revolver fired by actor and co-producer Alec Baldwin went off during a rehearsal.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died, while director Joel Souza was injured.

A defence lawyer for Gutierrez, who is serving an 18-month sentence at a prison for women in New Mexico, filed a shortly worded appeal notice on Monday.

Her legal team has 30 days to submit detailed arguments. They previously requested a new trial following the verdict.

Gutierrez's trial was told she unwittingly brought live ammunition to the set, where it was expressly prohibited, and failed to follow basic gun safety protocols.

During her sentencing hearing, she told the court she had tried to do her best while working on the production, despite not having "proper time, resources and staffing".

Read more:What the conviction means for Alec BaldwinProsecutors say Baldwin had 'no control' of emotions on set

Be the first to get

Install the Sky News app for free

Alec Baldwin case latest

Baldwin, who was a producer for the film as well as its star, has also pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter.

He maintains he pulled back the gun's hammerbut not the triggerbefore it fired, and is set to face trial in July. He denies any wrongdoing.

The 66-year-old was originally charged in January 2023, more than a year after the shooting, but those charges were dropped a few months later. He was charged again in January this year.

His legal team has filed a motion calling for the charges to be dropped. Prosecutors responded with a 32-page document claiming that footage of the star on set shows he had "absolutely no control of his own emotions" and "no concern for how his conduct" affected those around him.


Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Sky News footer

NEWS